A special place maintained in memory of a much-loved brother who served in the Canadian Navy through his working life and traveled all over the world. Whenever Harry visited this was his haven. The room is ideal for the single traveler/explorer. Situated on the third floor of the house it has the whole area to itself. Lots of sunlight streams in through the south facing window and there are many mementos of a life spent on the sea and in foreign lands. The room’s features include:
- An antique brass & iron single bed with a very high-quality and comfortable mattress newly purchased.
- Ornate claw footed writing desk with chair; chest of drawers; closet; Georgian display cabinet and bedside table. All fully restored antiques.
- Wifi internet access and landline telephone for free local calls. Use of large flat screen TV with cable and DVD player located in Guest’s Parlour.
- Access to 3 bathrooms; featuring large Jacuzzi and 2 over sized showers. Each shower has its own 40 gallon water boiler, ensuring lots of hot water!
- Access to Guest’s Parlour; library; outdoor deck; main kitchen and laundry facilities. See House Overview for more details and pictures.
- An exercise room featuring a professional treadmill which faces a 50″ plasma TV — to combat boredom on rainy days. Area includes a small kitchenette and some exercise equipment.
- On street Guest’s parking permit available if required.
No smoking. No pets. No children under 14 please.
Rates: $69 per night
15% discount available for stays in excess of one week. Speak to me directly to arrange substantial discount if you require an extended stay for business or sabbatical.
Includes all applicable taxes
Rooms may be booked through Airbnb, Booking.com, directly through the website or by speaking with the owner at (709) 631-8038.
We accept Debit, Visa, MasterCard and American Express.
I strongly recommend booking through Airbnb because of their easy to use financial services which protect both host and guest. This web page features a calendar for each of the 3 rooms, showing availability. This is updated constantly. Reservations are nice; rooms are available immediately if vacant. I generally require 24 hours notice in order to have a room ready. Rooms may be booked up to 6 months in advance. There is a minimum stay of 2 nights and no maximum stay. A discount of 15% is offered on stays exceeding one week. Larger discounts for longer stays can be arranged.
My goal is to ensure that you have a vacation you will never forget. So there are very few house rules. Because there are open stairwells and lots of breakables, no children under the age of 14, please. No pets and definitely no smoking in the building or anywhere on the grounds or deck. Of course, no recreational drugs, but if you bring your own booze and enjoy it responsibly I have no problem with that. You may prepare food in the main kitchen or either of the kitchenettes if you choose. Feeding the owner garners lots of brownie points! You may contact me directly through this site or at 709 631 8038 with inquiries.
Vacations can be ruined by unpleasant conditions at your destination. I guarantee everyone who visits Gower Manor a spotlessly clean environment at all times. There are no animals here; nothing to shed or smell. The rooms have fresh linen and there are always lots of towels, etc. available. The bathrooms and kitchen areas are cleaned every day as are the common areas. No scented products are used in the laundry or anywhere else in the building.
We also provide a selection of toiletries in case you left something at home. Enjoy your stay in a clean building!
I am always interested in hearing suggestions for improvements to the Guest House. Speak to me or leave a note in the Suggestion Box. Any input is appreciated. My goal is to provide a truly memorable vacation!